In ESXi 4.x and above, you can use the
k command in
esxtop to send a signal to, and kill, a running virtual machine process.
- On the ESXi console, enter Tech Support mode and log in as root.
- Run the
esxtoputility by running this command:
- Press c to switch to the CPU resource utilization screen.
- Press Shift+v to limit the view to virtual machines. This may make it easier to find the Leader World ID in step 7.
- Press f to display the list of fields.
- Press c to add the column for the Leader World ID.
- Identify the target virtual machine by its Name and Leader World ID (
- Press k.
- At the
World to killprompt, type in the Leader World ID from step 6 and press Enter.
- Wait 30 seconds and validate that the process is not longer listed.